Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Denmark

       I was running out of the Administration Building on the last day of school before Christmas vacation at the University of Redlands December 1948, I glanced at the bulletin board and saw a notice about schools abroad. When I got to Chino, where Barbara and I were living I kiddingly asked her if she wanted to go to Switzerland to school. To my great surprise, she said;  “I would love it, lets go.” I told her what I thought I had read and she told me to go back and get the details. It turned out that it wasn’t Switzerland, but instead it said “American School of Scandinavia, Sweden, Norway and Denmark. I wrote for information and found that Denmark was available. I applied and was accepted.

We went to Denmark in the Fall of 1949 and I attended classes in the University of Copenhagen for the first semester and then transferred to the newly built  University of Aarhus. While I was attending classes Barbara and one of our neighbors, Millie  attended art classes in the Art Museum. Aarhus University was really a dramatic change from Copenhagen as it had new buildings and a smaller enrollment. Another plus at Aarhus was that they took us on field trips nearly every weekend so we really got to know the country and pubs where we would stop for lunch. Since the wives were welcomed on these trips, Barbara would bring our lunch, usually Danish black bread with liver paste and pickled beets and another with spicy salami. It really was one of the most memorable school years a student could ever hope for.

 

No comments: