Thursday, December 4, 2008

Independent?

Question For Today; In politics is there such a thing as an independent?

It is really hard to believe that anyone can really be an independent. To me to be an independent means that sometimes you believe what the Democrats believe and other times you believe as the Republicans believe. Wishy-washy or Charlie Brownish, whichever you prefer.

To define the differences I will take a simplistic approach that you may not agree with, but you are free to disagree, just don't tell me about it.

It seems to me with my vast knowledge of everything and nothing, is that Democrats believe the government should take care of you (liberal) and Republicans believe the government should allow you to take care of yourself (conservative). If this is accurate, how can a person believe one way one day and another the next day? I don't think you can more than once or twice in your life. The rest of the time you take sides and defend your beliefs.

I can understand why someone might vote for candidates from different parties during different elections, as I have done myself on several occasions. The person that does this does not change core beliefs, but usually votes this way to  support a particular candidate. Someone who appears to have your beliefs, but is misguided in his selection of party. We expect that young people are prone to be liberal, but when you become an adult, have children, own property and become an adult you tend to become more conservative. How else can you retain your wealth.

 

Rod

No comments: